Many of you are preparing your Additional Responsibility (AR) proposals for Academic 2018-19. While the original contract language for AR is still in effect, the process and deadline has changed. You must make the decision to perform AR for the following year or opt to teach a 5th course for $2,500 in lieu of AR by May 15.
If you do choose to perform AR, you must submit your proposal by June 1. By contract, if your report is not submitted on time, management may assign your duties. The employer must notify you of approval or denial of your proposal by September 1. If your AR proposal is denied, you may consult with the employer and/or your union representative to adjust your proposal.
In addition to the activities listed in the contract, many members forget to list qualifying activities. Some common activities forgotten that would qualify for AR include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Significant leadership on a major committee or a significant time commitment resulting from membership on a committee
- Teaching courses fully online (OLCR or ONLN)
- Teaching a course that would require a 4th prep for the semester
- Additional office hours or additional student advising beyond office hours
- Other activities that address our institutional priorities
If you have any questions, you may reach out to your department chair, program coordinator, or employer for suggestions.